Monday, February 21, 2011

Oscar Nominated Live Action Short Films

Nerd Out. No one is going to read this anyways, and even if they did I doubt they would go see the short films anyway. From myself, for myself.
I was really impressed with the Live Action short films. I've never given the category much thought, or seen any of them, so I didn't really know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by the ability to tell a pretty complex story in 30 minutes or less, and how heavily these films relied on the writing and artistic direction to tell their story.
1. The Confession-UK
This was by far the darkest of the shorts, and a very complex story. Two boys are preparing for their first confession, and one is more morally upright than the other. I almost cried at the end, and that is pretty impressive considering it was only 26 minutes long.
2. Wish 143-UK
Funny but also heartfelt little story about a teenage boy with Cancer. I appreciated the tongue-in-cheek British humor mixed with emotion and a cool priest. Very good story, original.
3. Na Wewe-Belgium
Set in Berundi, focusing on the continued conflict between the Hutu and the Tutsi people. I took the subtitles and context as a little short comedy poking at the ridiculousness of the people still championing the cause, but I may have been off base. It was cute, and I loved the ending.
4. The Crush-Ireland
A precious Irish boy named Arnad loves his teacher. It was a very short little film, but it was so funny and cute. An original idea and story.
5. God of Love-USA
Yuck. I'm sorry, but yuck. Made by hipsters at the Tisch academy, I'm embarassed that this is from the United States against all these other great little foreign nuggets. Whatever.

Winner is.......a tie!!! Between "The Crush" and "The Confession" regardless they were all wonderful, except that American crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment