Thursday, May 26, 2011

throwback(s) thursday

I've been watching a lot of throwbacks lately, so bear with me here.

1) The Last King of Scotland
Loved it! Forrest Whitaker was phenomenal, and so was James McAvoy (quickly becoming one of my new faves). It was really dark and a little bit brutal, but pretty much any story out of Africa is going to be that way. I liked it because it wasn't like most of the genocide in Africa movies you run into. Definitely worth seeing, just be mentally prepared for it.

2) Groundhog Day
I was trying to stay on my Bill Murray kick, and I concreted my opinion that I don't really like him. I guess the premise was sort of clever, but I got a bit tired of it by the end, and I didn't really believe that he had changed as a person. Funny enough I guess, but I won't be watching this one again, and again, and again, and again.

3) Reservoir Dogs
No matter how hard I try, I still can't quite understand Quentin Tarantino. It was good, good plot twist and surprise/gasp moments, but I don't always get his symbolism and plot details. Definitely very bloody, a boy movie for sure. Basically just saw it to mark it off the list. See it for the same purpose I guess.

4) The Big Lebowski
Again, the early 90s comedy is lost on me. I loved Jeff Bridges in this just because it was absolutely ridiculous. I liked the convoluted stories, and Tara Reid being the dumb slut wife (type-cast much) I also loved how bowling was integral to another movie. Weird. See it for Jeff Bridges as "the dude" oh and John Goodman was good too, as the overly sensitive Nam vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment