Thursday, January 27, 2011

Blue Valentine

When I saw Ryan Gosling's interview with Ryan Seacrest at the Globes, he claimed that it took him something like 5 years to shoot this film. After seeing it, I completely agree with him, and love him even more as an actor. I just wish he wasn't so dang serious so there wasn't this massive gap between each one of his wonderful works.
The story was so intimately told, that I really didn't know where we were going on the journey. The on screen, not chemistry, but realness between Gosling and Michelle Williams was uncanny. Supposedly they lived together for an extended period of time in order to reach this level. The plot line was beautifully told and really made me concerned and understand what is going on with American society. The story really wasn't anything new or different to things people experience everyday, but unless you have lived that you can't really relate. This was so real, and so emotionally gripping that I felt it, and was seriously affected by it. I always say that you can tell what a movie was like by how the audience is during the credits. Recently, in both this movie and Black Swan, people have been dead silent. For minutes on end just sitting still and quiet, which you don't see much these days outside of elementary school. I highly recommend this one, get it while you can, because you will hear it being called to receive some gold men statues. And if not, its probably because the Academy is still so dumbfounded by "The Tourist".

No comments:

Post a Comment