Wednesday, January 12, 2011

American History X

Big thanks to my frend and fellow movie connoisseur shelbie for this recommendation. A relatively unknown Edward Norton flick that is by far one of his best performances as far as I can tell. Made in 1998, it focuses on a skin head gang in Venice Beach, CA. I have to believe that the democratic nature of the film industry prevented this one from getting a lot of press, but I was completely blown away. It is scary to think that some of the things the skin head gang are upset about (border control, immigration, health care) while their opinions are extreme, in 12 years things haven't changed much policy wise. You must have a strong spirit for this one, and not be easily offended, but it was an incredible performance by the entire cast that really left me emotionally invested and curious about why America is the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment