Monday, April 9, 2012

The Devil's Double

I should preface this post with some information about movie-going in the United Kingdom versus the United States. I will never ever complain about the cost of seeing a movie in the US ever again. Today I wanted to go see Titanic in 3D until I realised that the US dollar equivalent of my ticket would be $35 dollars. No thanks. However, I have gotten a netflix type subscription service, so I can keep up on watching movies!

Today's pick was a lesser known flick called "The Devil's Double" a based-on-a-true-story drama about Uday Hussein, Sadam Hussein's lunatic son. The man is a complete nymphomaniac lunatic, and the story tells about his hiring of a double (like his father) and how that man, Latif, worked as Uday's double. It was a very hard story to comprehend, and there is no way to know how much if it was dramatised and played up for the sake of drama, but it was no doubt insane. Uday rapes and murders people all over Baghdad, and seems to have little concept of morality or consequences. I was definitely intrigued by the story and incredibly impressed by Dominic Cooper, the actor who played both Latif and Uday.

I would recommend this if you have interest in the story, but be warned it is an intense and graphic film. The good news is that there seems to be some amount of closure and consequence in the end, but it no doubt left you feeling as though maybe the fall of the Hussein empire wasn't a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment