Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Young Adult. (no, not me silly)

So I saw this movie a long time ago, and it made such a profound impact that I couldn't exactly put it into words. I sat down to write and couldn't get a thought out due to my obsession and willingness to gush the entire plot line.

Let me say this; Charlize Theron NOT being nominated is one of the biggest crimes of this award season. I thought she was incredible! I have no clue about her natural state, and how far a stretch this character was for her, but I loved it. I thought she was incredibly on point, and her portrayal of a 20 something with a dead end career was SPOT ON. Patton Oswalt also did an awesome job, and I think the writers deserve and incredible amount of credit as well.

Charlize Theron's character, Mavis, is a total whack job. She is delusional in her rationale, stuck in high school, and kind of a bitch. That being said; I strangely identified with her struggle. She made rash decisions in her youth, experienced extreme success and can't figure out that all of the things that used to be great are dead now. Her parent's still like her ex-husband more than her. She is totally crazy.

I thought this movie had a really interesting story to tell, and it reminded me that your small town shouldn't dictate what you do with the rest of your life. It takes a painfully awkward struggle for her to see this, and realize that regardless of the crap things that happen to her in the big city, its better than what would have been if she stayed in her small town. Her struggle to admit that she actually might be crazy brought tears to my eyes, and brought a subtle light on how we view ourselves. I loved this movie. Plain and simple.
Not everyone will, and those are the same people that are scared to venture out and do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment