Monday, February 13, 2012

the machinist; and rocknrolla

Up today are two out of my Netflix Queue; which reminds me I need to find out how Netflix would work in the UK. Its always something, eh?

The Machinist (2004) stars Christian Bale as an insomniac factory worker who starts to lose it. I really mean lose it; sees imaginary people, distorts his own self image, and there's that pesky freezer that might actually be filled with blood. As usual Bale takes it to the extreme in the way he portrays a role. I find his dedication incredibly gripping and it always adds to the experience of his films. Its reported that he was very close to seriously hurting/possibly killing himself by how much weight he lost. I would definitely recommend this one; it was incredibly engrossing and kept you guessing. I loved it in a sick and twisted kind of way.

RocknRolla (2008) was insanely good. Gerard Butler is the big name in this one, but there are lots of other noted actors in it as well. Written and directed by Guy Ritchie it has his very classic retrospective storytelling feature and his same cinematic experience as the more well known Sherlock Holmes movies. The story focuses around numerous different groups of crooks and one lunatic son. It is set in London and just a fabulous twisted story. It literally had me on the edge of my seat till the end, and I never saw the plot twist coming. It was great. I love finding those films you didn't really hear about that end up being awesome.

Definitely add these two to your list and save them for a time kids aren't around.

No comments:

Post a Comment