Wednesday, September 14, 2011

In My Netlfix Queue:

So, now that I am wonderfully unemployed, I have a lot of time on my hands. So, I will be working through my netflix queue. These movies aren't throwbacks, but aren't new releases either. They fall in that no mans land of movies we don't know what to do with.

1) Defiance
I was really pleasantly surprised by this. Its a true story about a some Jewish brothers who take to the woods in Belarus to hid from the Nazis during WWII. It features Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber as the two older brothers, Tuvia and Zus. I thought this film moved kind of slowly, and I was never really sure what was going to happen. But it was incredible to see how the brothers worked together (and apart) in order to survive. The end of the movie was absolutely incredible, I don't want to give anything away, but I was very impressed. I really like Daniel Craig, and I thought this showed a different side of him, and I really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend adding this one to your queue!

2) Taking Woodstock
Again, I didn't know what to expect with this movie. Dimitri Martin is the main character, and turns out to be much different than what I expected. He is a failing artist and designer who has to move back home to his parents' run-down motel in the Catskills. He hears about this group, Woodstock, Inc. and offers them a permit for their festival and lodging at his parents' motel. I thought it was an interesting take on remembering Woodstock, and they did an incredible job of visually recreating it. It made me really sad that I was born in 1988, and not 1958. The story was really interesting, and allowed for a genuine look into the making of Woodstock as well as a sort of coming of age tale for Martin's character. I liked it. Be warned; there's a lot of naked people, drugs, and strange shit in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment