Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Christmas is obviously the best time for movies to come out, and I'm a little behind, so I'm lumping them all together.
First up, Black Swan. Here's a surprise: it was a really freaking good movie. I will go ahead and reiterate what everyone else in the world has said, and say it was an amazing film. Natalie Portman went insanely deep into that role, and I'm amazed that she has followed up this performance with the light and airy piece with Ashton Kutcher. The dancing was phenomenal, especially since she did a lot of it herself. Also, being the sport nerd I am, the film made me think more in depth about super involved parents and their obsession with their kids success. It was great to see Mila Kunis in a serious role, and she does the bad girl part exceedingly well.
Next up, The King's Speech.
Holy guacamole. Colin Firth was a badass. It was a great story with great acting, telling a generally unknown facet of the royal family. It also portrayed, for an American, the different side of what the Royal family is and how they live that is so different than the way we do. The attention to detail with the set, script, and general aura was fabulous. highly recommend it!
True Grit
I've never seen the original, so I can't compare it to that, but it was very good. I felt that it was rather slow, but I also think that was the goal of the Cohen brothers. Jeff Bridges was mad legit, also very entertaining even though it doesn't seem like much of a stretch for him to be a drunk old codger.

No comments:

Post a Comment