Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Movies by Mackenzie: History Boys, Philadephia, Witness

I haven't blogged a ton since being in London, which means I'm a wee bit backlogged on movie titles. Good news is, I still remember the movies I watched, and keep good notes. So, I can share them here now! Mackenzie and I had some different tastes in movies at times, so here are some that she either chose or that came from her personal collection:

1) HISTORY BOYS

This movie may have been chosen by both of us actually, who knows. Regardless, it was sort of strange, but became historically and geographically relevant because we watched it right before a trip to Cambridge and some of the scenes were actually shot there. This film was a very realistic portrayal of the British schooling system, and some of the stranger things that happen within it. It wasn't one of my favorites; it moved slowly and was hard to follow at some points. It is rife with Brit culture, slang and references, so if you are into that it is totally for you.

2) PHILADELPHIA

This movie was so freaking good. It came from Mack's personal collection, and I believe is one of Tom Hank's lesser know films. Hanks plays a gay lawyer who is wrongfully terminated from his law firm, and he hires Denzel Washington to represent him in a lawsuit against the firm. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, but especially to anyone dealing with AIDS or an anti-gay community or fight. It was eye-opening and gut-wrenching and just an excellent film. Two lonely thumbs way up for that one, for sure.

3) WITNESS

Okay, I have to be honest. This one didn't really do it for me. It feature Harrison Ford, who is basically Mackenzie's Jesus, so obviously it is one of her faves. That being said, it is Harrison Ford protecting an Amish kid because he accidentally witnessed a murder, then Ford gets wrapped up in the Amish community. There is a little bit of awkward forbidden loving in there, and Ford gets set on the outs by the city folk and then they come after him and totally upset the nice Amish people's way of life and.....I just didn't get it. It wasn't for me.

If you need a Harrison Ford fix, just watch some Star Wars and call it a day, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment