Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Machine Gun Preacher

I have no idea who recommended this movie to me. Like in all honesty, I don't know any of my friends that would have liked it, and it isn't nominated for awards, so the joke is on me. This movie is a biopic featuring Gerard Butler (rawrrr) and a ton of Sudanese orphans. Butler plays a mess of a guy (drugs, drinks, motorcycles, etc) who finds Jesus and decides to visit Africa per the recommendation of a visiting Pastor. He has a vision from God and takes on two massive building projects, one of which is an orphanage for Sudanese children.
His humanitarian efforts put him in the middle of a war zone, and lots of other things go down. It was an incredibly moving story, because you don't exactly know how to feel all of the time. It tackles religion without really giving a stance on it, and is apparently a true story. It was very interesting, but also somewhat gruesome and heart wrenching due to the subject matter. It tells a current issue in a different light, and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the conflicts in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment